Tell Congress Nutrition Programs are Important – Ask them to Oppose the Current Proposed Budget!
Contact Congress and Tell Them We Must Not Fail Our Most Vulnerable Americans by cutting SNAP and eliminating CSFP!
- The proposed cuts to SNAP and CSFP chart a dangerous course for our most vulnerable by putting programs that provide stability and opportunity at great risk.
- Slashing SNAP funding by $213 billion over ten years – a reduction of nearly one-third undermines the basic dignity that comes from allowing SNAP recipients to shop for groceries like anyone else.
- SNAP provides 12 meals for every one meal provided through the Feeding America network of food banks and their partner agencies.
- The nation’s 200 food banks and 60,000 pantries and other meal programs simply cannot make up for the lost meals that would result from these program changes.
- Elimination of the Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP), which each month provides nutritious USDA foods to supplement the diets of more than 728,000 lower income Americans age 60 and over, takes needed food away from low income seniors and places them at greater risk.
- Cutting programs that provide relief to our poorest and most vulnerable Americans – disabled, elderly, babies and children – is simply unacceptable.
- It is our responsibility to care for or struggling neighbors with respect, not dismantle their support systems.
- When these cuts to federal nutrition programs are coupled with proposed reductions in housing, health care and income assistance programs, the overall effect is devastating effect for food insecure Americans.
Please contact us if you have questions!
Contact Your Members of Congress
Contact Congress through Feeding America’s hotline:
- Call the advocacy hotline at (888) 398-8702
- Listen to the pre-recorded message and enter your zip code when prompted.
- Connect to your Representative first.
- Once you are connected to your Representative, state that you are a constituent and give your name and your hometown. Be sure to give the name of the food bank or local agency you are affiliated with as well.
- Let them know why you are calling and deliver your message.
- Dial back in to make sure you talk to both of your Senators and your Representative.
- Recruit others by spreading the word through your social media channels and share our posts for call-in day so others can help too.
Thank you for reaching out with us!
Don’t Miss Important Messages
Sign up for our Hunger Action email alerts. We’ll only send emails when we need your help and we never share your name with outside organizations..