I’m enjoying the last days of summer outdoors in our beautiful state, knowing soon it will be fall and before we know it, winter. As you enjoy the last few weeks of summer, please remember Hunger Action Month this September. If you’re one of the lucky ones, you only think about hunger when you read our newsletters or see a report on TV. But for those who aren't so lucky, thinking about hunger could happen daily. 1 in 7 Coloradans are struggling with food insecurity and 1 in 4 children live in these households. They need our help. That’s why Food Bank of the Rockies is joining our fellow Feeding America food banks across the state and around the country to take action because we all believe no one should go hungry. Can you join us?
- Visit our Hunger Action Month section on our webpage and learn 30 ways you can fight hunger in 30 days.
- Run or walk in our Panerathon 5 & 10K.
- Sign up to receive our email newsletter and events notices.
- Like us on Facebook. Retweet, share and participate on Twitter , Linked In, Instagram, Pinterest and other social media sites.
- Tell your friends. Tell your neighbors. And if you learn they are part of the 1 in 7 struggling, please send them to us for a referral for food assistance.
- Volunteer - September is a slower month for volunteers, but we're still fighting hunger all month.
- Contribute - this month you'll receive our free downloadable cookbook, the 2014 Orange Cookbook as a Thank-You for financial gifts of all sizes.
- Teach a child about hunger through our Kung Food Fighters® Kids Club. Come up with your own way to take action. We’re counting on you.
Together, we can solve hunger. Your support and action are much appreciated this September and all year long. Warm regards, Kevin
A Message from Kevin Seggelke, President & CEO, Food Bank of the Rockies
Summer is truly one of the best times to live in Colorado. The weather is not too hot or humid, the sun shines almost every day and the city, plains and mountains are incredible places to enjoy the great outdoors and all our state has to offer. It’s also the time of year kids take a break from school. But sadly, for some children right here in our beautiful state, as the school year and school feeding programs end, summer also means the possibility of taking a break from having enough to eat.
12 year old Ryan is already feeling anxious. Soon, he and his 8 year old sister Sara will no longer be able eat school breakfast and lunch. He waits until the other kids leave the cafeteria and fills his pockets with apples, rolls, even packets of mayonnaise. The cafeteria worker notices and asks him if he’s hungry.
“I’m not hungry now,” he replied. “I’m trying to stock up so me and my sister will have food to eat during the summer.”
Ryan is one of the nearly 1 in 4 Colorado kids living in a food insecure household. Food insecurity is another way of saying these struggling families don’t always have enough money to eat - maybe only at the end of the month due to parents’ low wages, and in some cases, maybe all summer, due to circumstances far beyond a child’s control.
The cafeteria worker realized the seriousness of Ryan’s situation and told Ryan’s family about Food Bank of the Rockies’ Summer Food Service Program. This summer, Ryan and Sara will have a healthy lunch five days a week.
“Now I don’t have to worry about being hungry this summer and Sara will get lunches too. I can play ball and have a good time.” Ryan said with a big smile on his face.
At Food Bank of the Rockies, we’re proud to be the largest nonprofit sponsor of the Summer Food Service Program in Colorado. We’ll be providing food for more than 70 locations this summer. Along with several public school districts, the USDA , our sister Feeding Colorado food banks, partner agencies and the Colorado Department of Education Office of School Nutrition, children around our service area and across the state can enjoy a nutritious lunch during the summer months.
No child should go hungry. If you know a child in need, more information on summer meals and links to find nearby sites can be found here.
And if you are fortunate to have enough to eat this summer, can you help someone who is struggling? Your gift will help children and their families receive healthy food all summer long.
Thank you and enjoy a wonderful summer!